[xmonad] Window gets pulled into another workspace

Raghavendra D Prabhu raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 20:05:07 CET 2012

Hi,

* On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 01:27:08PM -0500, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Raghavendra D Prabhu
><raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I open a window on a workspace (A) and that is delayed (firefox
>> download window is a good example since it waits for server response), and I
>> move to another workspace (B) in the interim, the window of the latter gets
>> pulled into the first workspace (A). Is this behavior defined and/or a bug?
>> How to avoid this?
>
>Hello Raghavendra,
>
>The usual issue would be that the "firefox download window" ends up on
>workspace B. For that complaint, workarounds include using
>XMonad.Actions.SpawnOn if the program is started from xmonad, or
>defining manageHooks that shift windows to the right workspace.

I have manageHooks in place; in this case, the manageHook is for
terminal to be on workspace B and firefox on workspace A and
somehow the terminal gets pulled into workspace B. Note that this
doesn't only happen with windows with manageHooks but any active
window.

To reproduce this, create a request to make a window in a
time-delayed fashion, best way is to start firefox download for a
busy site (or just enough for you to move to other workspace).

>But what you described sounds like a bug. If we can see your xmonad.hs
>(attach to an email, hpaste.org, etc.), it will be easier for us to
>figure out why this is happening.

My xmonad.hs is https://gist.github.com/a63243e5e906f7f8802c

Also I am using xmonad built on latest darcs HEAD.