[xmonad] Issue 522 in xmonad: get default value from XState for XMonad.Util.Invisible

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Dec 29 21:56:52 CET 2012

Owner: vogt.a... at gmail.com
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Low Component-Core Component-Contrib

New issue 522 by vogt.a... at gmail.com: get default value from XState for
XMonad.Util.Invisible

Currently xmonad layouts have to be instances of Show so that the state can
be saved between restarts. XMonad.Util.Invisible works for state that can
be replaced without looking at the user's configuration.

To work around this, modules like XMonad.Util.WindowProperties have to be
written for layouts like XMonad.Layout.IM, when it would have been easier
on everybody to pass a function (ie ManageHook) to the IM layout.

The attached patch to xmonad core adds Data instances for layouts. The
module MergeLayout provides a startupHook that replaces the (I Nothing)
that xmonad gets on restart with what's in the xmonad.hs at the same spot.

Pushing this would break all layouts. Fixing them involves adding Data (and
Typeable) instances or contexts to existing instances. Normally that
involves just a `deriving(Data,Typeable)'. I can't convince ghc to generate
the instances in some cases: I manually wrote instances for Mirror and
Choose in the dpatch file attached.

Finally there is a possible objection that the Data instance will break
abstractions: having a (derived) Data instance allows access to the
constructors. Most of the time I think constructors are not exported to
make some changes easier, rather than to make sure invalid values cannot be
constructed (ex. Data.Map).

Attachments:
	require-layouts-to-be-instances-of-data.dpatch  8.7 KB
	MergeLayout.hs  1.5 KB