[xmonad] Delays in focus update...

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Wed Feb 8 17:21:47 CET 2012

Allen S. Rout [2012.02.08 0921 -0500]:
> On 02/07/2012 06:27 PM, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> >Norbert Zeh [2012.02.07 1657 -0400]:
>
> >Alright.  Tested with 4 monitors, 30 windows per monitor, no decoration.
> >Indeed, there is a lag in focus switching, but it is not unbearable.
> > [...]
>
> So I don't want to go down a blind alley here:  I'm not suggesting
> that 30 terminals, each 2 characters wide, is a rational work
> environment. :)  My tossing 20-30 terminals on a screen was a way to
> exacerbate the problem so it was easy to measure.
>
> The Real Problem is that I can sweep my mouse pointer across my
> desktop, to (for instance) move from the web browser to an editor,
> start typing, and get my input lost.  I haven't yet gotten bits
> distributed over other windows, but I fear that.  Some semi-random
> set of keystrokes accidentally dropped in an interstitial root
> window.  *shudder*.
>
> The most common case of this is when I copy something to the cut
> buffer, and go 'somewhere else' to paste it.  At the moment, I've
> added to my mental process a "pause and wait for the G- D- border to
> turn red". Otherwise things get pasted into nowhere.  That's a
> serious interruption of flow.

How long a focus delay are we talking about?  When I tested, even with the
excessive number of 30 windows per workspace, the focus moved between windows
faster than I would have been able to move my hand back from the mouse to the
keyboard.  So either you are extremely fast at sweeping across with your mouse
and then starting to type or there is something else in your setup which makes
the delay more serious than I was able to observe.

Cheers,
Norbert