[xmonad] Unity appmenu compatible with XMonad?

Jacek Generowcz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Jan 2 02:25:59 CET 2012

Greetings,

Has anyone managed to get the Ubuntu's Unity appmenus (a.k.a. global
menus: application menus appear on the panel rather than in the
application window) to work with XMonad?

Starting with a clean installation of Ubuntu 11.10, the appmenus work,
in the standard X session.

Inspired by
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Unity_2D, I
created the following files in order to create a xmonad-and-unity X session.

/usr/share/applications/xmonad.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xmonad
Exec=xmonad
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-WMName=Xmonad
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=WindowManager
X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager
X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=true

/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/xmonad.session:

[GNOME Session]
Name=Xmonad Unity
RequiredComponents=gnome-settings-daemon;
RequiredProviders=windowmanager;panel;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=xmonad
DefaultProvider-panel=unity-2d-panel

/usr/share/xsessions/xmonad-unity-session.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XMonad Unity
Comment=Tiling window manager
TryExec=/usr/bin/gnome-session
Exec=gnome-session --session=xmonad
Type=XSession

I also include

   , className =? "Unity-2d-panel" --> doIgnore
   , className =? "Unity-2d-launcher" --> doFloat

in my xmonad.hs hooks.

XMonad then runs beautifully, except for one serious problem: no
application menus appear at all, neither in the application windows, nor
on the panel (appmenu).

For the time being I have switched off appmenus by UNinstalling the
packages

   appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt appmenu-qt thunderbird-globalmenu
firefox-globalmenu

and the menus now all appear in the application windows. However not
wasting space on menubars is in line with the sorts of reasons why I use
XMonad, so I would like to try to get appmenus working.

Can anyone suggest how to go about trying to get Unity appmenus to work
with XMonad?

Thanks.