[xmonad] Power Management

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:32:35 CET 2012

Dear Eyal,

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:03:44 -0500,Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:
> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Hi,

> I'm using xmonad 0.10 with Ubuntu 11.10.  I've switched to using SLiM and
> starting xmonad from my .xsession file.

> The problem is that I can't get power management to work.  Meaning, that
> when I close my laptop lid, I would like the laptop to suspend, but not if
> it is plugged in.  I would also like to have a command (or key) to suspend
> and hibernate my laptop.

I am no expert in this, but I understand that if acpi is working properly,
the daemon is running, etc, when you close the lid, for instance, the
appropriate behavior should be triggered. There are scripts under
/etc/acpi which might already do what you want (though I always end up
making changes to lid.sh).

Commands/keys: there might be specific keys in your laptop already, and
these might be working. For instance, they work just fine in my Asus eeepc
and my HP ProBook. Again, you can modify the appropriate scripts under
/etc/acpi to suit your needs.

Of course, if that does not work for you, you can always bind a specific
key combination to run a given script.

> In previous versions I would use the gnome-power-manager.  However, that
> has seemed to disappear from the latest version of Ubuntu.  Is there some
> way to get this back or some other power manager I need to use?

But, then, is the problem that you used to use gnome-power-manager, and
that is not working anymore? I have a vague recollection of having tried
to use that unsuccessfully a few years ago; using the support provided by
acpi et al. (for instance, packages acpi, acpi-support, acpi-fakekey in
Debian) directly seemed a lot simpler and more reliable.

Best,

R.

> Thank you,

> --
> *Eyal Erez <**oneself at gmail.com* <oneself at gmail.com>*>*

> There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.
> [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]

> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25.
Facultad de Medicina (UAM)