[xmonad] dmenu on currently focused monitor

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Fri Jan 13 17:32:55 CET 2012

Hi,

At the moment I'm invoking dmenu with

     spawn "exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu` && eval \"exec $exe\""

Which results in dmenu always appearing on my primary monitor. What
should be done in order to make dmenu appear on the focused monitor?
I'm guessing that it might require the use of dmenu's -m option, but
it's not clear to me how to get XMonad to report the currently focused
monitor, or how to (cleanly) incorporate this information into the
spawn command.

As a secondary issue, when monitor 1 is focused and I launch something
with dmenu, dmenu appears on monitor 0; the launched application
sometimes appears on monitor 0, sometimes on monitor 1. I haven't
managed to spot a pattern in this behaviour yet. Any hints on how to
make this behaviour more stable and more sensible?

Thanks.