[xmonad] Avoiding multiple status bar processes after XMonad restart

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 17:47:05 CET 2012

Excerpts from Jacek Generowicz's message of Sun Jan 15 01:01:17 -0700 2012:

> When I log in and xmonad starts up for the first time, toggle struts
> avoids the xmobar and dzen exactly as expected. After an XMonad
> restart, the newly spawned xmobars and dzens stay on top of any other
> windows, so when MXonad is not in avoid struts mode, the status bars
> cover up the top/bottom of the managed windows.

This sounds like the dzen and xmobar aren't lowering themselves when
they restart. I thought that was default in xmobar, but you can
explicitly add `lowerOnStart=True' to xmobarrc to tell it to do so.

With dzen2 IIRC it uses -e 'onstart=lower' to do the same thing. Note
that this disables all the other dzen event handlers so they have to be
re-added. Only applies if you use things like mouse-over to open the
slave window, but most xmonad users don't use such things. There's a
full list on:

http://dzen.geekmode.org/dwiki/doku.php?id=dzen:option-e

Regards,

wmw