[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jan 17 10:16:20 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:59, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>> Another option that you might find worth exploring is using one of the
>> lighter desktop environments, such as XFCE or LXDE.  I think both of
>> them would allow you to move away from Gnome/Unity without having to
>> invest so heavily in finding replacements for all the parts of
>> Gnome/Unity that "make things just work".
>
> Any thoughts choosing between XFCE and LXDE, if I should try going
> down this route?

I recently threw out Gnome3 in favour of Xmonad+LXDE (with lxdm).  I
had a brief look at XFCE first, but it looked a bit more complicated
to get XFCE to use Xmonad so I decided to try LXDE first and haven't
found any reason to bother with XFCE yet :)  I wrote the page on
setting up Xmonad in LXDE and it's rather short and sweet.

Personally I haven't found anything in LXDE that's limiting *me* in my
computer usage.  What I've noticed so far is:
• wicd doesn't have good support for VPN yet (you can use post-connect
scripts, but that's very rudimentary compared to NM)
• the randr application in LXDE (lxrandr) is not nearly as capable as
the one in Gnome3

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org