[xmonad] One status bar process, visible on N screens

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 17 17:08:43 CET 2012

Quoting Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>:

> Did marshallPP and defaultPP appear in IndependentScreens between
> xmonad-contrib versions 0.9.2 and 0.10? Is there an easy way of
> finding the docs for older versions?

marshalPP is new in 0.10. defaultPP is provided by DynamicLog and is
not new. Older versions of the documentation are available on Hackage;
click the version numbers at the top of this page:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib
0.9.2 doesn't seem to be available, but 0.9.1 is and should be quite
close to the same.

> But if anyone has any suggestions on getting XMonad to spot the change
> itself, I'd be interested.

Look into the eventHook. I believe clients are sent a message when the
number of screens change. Supposedly, xmonad itself has some machinery
for spotting this kind of thing, so you may be able to crib some code
from core.

~d