[xmonad] renameWorkspace and autoComplete

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Jan 17 18:03:03 CET 2012

Hello,

I am using DynamicWorkspaces and have switched on
autoComplete. Consequently, when I start working on some new 'thing' I
can quickly create a new workspace for it, and switching between
arbitrary named workspaces is very quick:

  Mod-<my-dynamic-workspace-key> <first-letter-of-workspace-name>

is all it takes, because autocomplete selects the namespace as soon as
only one matching completion remains (and my namespaces have unique
initials, to start with).

Switching to a namespace which does not exist, creates that
namespace. And here is where autocomplete gets in the way: if I want
to create a namespace with an initial that already exists,
autoComplete will select the existing namespace without giving me the
opportunity to give a new name.

The autoComplete config member is a Maybe Int: 'Nothing' means do not
autocomplete; 'Just us' means wait for 'us' microseconds before
autocompleting. I thought that increasing this delay slightly would
give me the opportunity to type the name of a new namespace that I
want to create. Not so: it just waits, but then picks the originally
chosen one anyway.

Any hints on how to get autoComplete and selectWorkspace to allow
creation of new namespaces with names with initials which are shared
by other already-existing namespaces?

Thanks.