[xmonad] Using Xmonad as your IDE

Eyal Erez oneself at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:35:26 CET 2012

Hi,

Your script looks really interesting.  I'm trying to run it on my
system (Ubuntu 11.10).  "wombat dir" and "wombat ls" work fine, but
when I try to run "wombat edit <filename>" (e,g, wombat edit test.py),
I get the following errors:

/usr/local/bin/wombat: line 69: wls: command not found
/usr/local/bin/wombat: line 70: wls: command not found
/usr/local/bin/wombat: line 75: wls: command not found
usage: dmenu [-b] [-i] [-l lines] [-m monitor] [-p prompt] [-fn font]
             [-nb color] [-nf color] [-sb color] [-sf color] [-v]
DEBUG ''

It looks like my system doesn't have a "wls".  Is that "ls -1" or
something else.
Not sure what the second error is or if it is related to the first.

Thanks

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:18, Amy de Buitléir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:
> I've been using Xmonad for years, and have it customised so that it perfectly
> suits the way I work. So I hate using most IDEs because they have their own idea
> of how the edit panes, etc., should be laid out. And I often want multiple
> terminal windows associated with a project, which most IDEs don't support.
>
> Finally I hacked together my own minimal "IDE" in the form of a shell script.
> I've been using it for 6 months now, and I find it very convenient. To give you
> an idea how I use it, I associate each project with a different Xmonad desktop.
> One keystroke invokes the editor. If the current selection is a filename, it
> will be opened. Otherwise, it prompts me for a file to edit using dmenu (so I
> usually only have to type a couple of characters to find the file I'm interested
> in, no matter where it's located in the directory structure). The selection can
> include line and column information, e.g., "MyProg.hs:8:15:"; the cursor will be
> set to that location.
>
> You might be interested in trying my script if:
>
> 1. You want an ultra-lightweight IDE.
>
> 2. You use an Xwindow manager that automatically lays out your applications. (I
> use Xmonad, but you should be able to use wIDE with any Xwindow manager.)
>
> 3. You want to edit files using the editor and terminal of your choice.
>
> 4. You don't need an IDE to find function, variable and class definitions for
> you. (I might add ctags support late, but for now, wIDE is probably best suited
> for one-person projects.)
>
> 5. You're familiar with Unix shell scripts. (wIDE is a small shell script, so
> it's easy to customise and extend.)
>
> The current version is available at http://code.google.com/p/wide/ . Happy hacking!

Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com>

There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.