[xmonad] Still seeing Java gray screens after applying patch from Issue 177

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:49:38 CET 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Sean Neilan <sean at seanneilan.com> wrote:

> Without restarting X11, I did xmonad --recompile and still see grey
> screens when starting Java apps.

Last I'd heard, recent Java 7 was still broken in some way that ICCCMFocus
can't fix.  But ICCCMFocus only addresses focus issues, not gray windows;
that part is generally dealt with by forcing the window manager name to one
that is recognized as non-reparenting, to turn off a bit of questionable
design in the JVM.  (I had been under the impression this wasn't necessary
in Java 7, but I don't know for certain.)

That said, try using EwmhDesktops (which adds in the known gray-window
fixes automatically) or adding (setWMName "LG3D") to the StartupHook (or
myStartupHook in your config).

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net