[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 03:53:13 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:

> >> Can you control, say, Apple Mail or Safari with XMonad?
> > Ah, you're in the X11 uber alles camp.
>
> :-)
>
> Not at all. But I am in 'the why run two completely different window
> managers simultaneously, when it's far more comfortable to be running
> just the one' camp. But the ease with which your suggestion rolls off

I have uses for X11-based stuff (have not, for example, found a single GUI
IRC client for native Aqua that is really usable; also, I regularly do
support for Unix/Linux stuff so need that UI available) and the X11 and
Aqua stuff differs significantly enough that I don't have issues switching
between them.  Except that it's far easier when they're on the same machine
than when one is confined to a Linux VM, which in turn is easier than when
one is confined to its own hardware.

Maybe if the X11 world offered a user interface that didn't feel like it
was written by bonobos on LSD, I'd use it full time.  I'd even be willing
to put up with driver hell if the UI weren't just so horrid.  I mean, I'm
not fond of Apple Mail but it's way more usable than Linux offerings....
 But in the meantime, I need it to be around and I want it to be
conveniently available, without being in my way.  XQuartz serves the
purpose.

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net