[xmonad] Regarding X.A.GroupNavigation

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Mon Oct 22 01:06:45 CEST 2012

Raghavendra D Prabhu [2012.10.22 0327 +0530]:
> Hi,
>
> I am using one of your Xmonad extensions - X.A.GroupNavigation.
>
> I needed something like ability to toggle between alternate windows
> like toggleWS which is for workspaces.
>
> However,
>
> , ((modm                , xK_BackSpace), nextMatch History (return True))
>
> didn't work for me since I wanted it to toggle within the workspace.
>
> So, I tried
>
>         .... nextMatchWithThis History  currentWs)
>
> But this is not working for me. Do you know why that may be the
> case? (currentWs from ManageHelpers).
>

> My loghook is as follows:
>

>         logHook            = fadeWindowsLogHook myFadeHook <+> myLogHook xmproc <+> G.historyHook

The reason why this doesn't work is simple: currentWs returns the current
workspace.  nextMatchWithThis focuses the next window for which the given query
returns the same result as for the current window.  Since currentWs is
independent of the given window, nextMatchWithThis History currentWs should
produce the exact same effect as nextMatch History (return True), as long as
there currently is a focused window.

The answer probably a bit more interesting to you is: can what you want to do be
done?  Of course it can ;) but not out of the box it seems.  What you need is a
query that returns the workspace a given window is on.  As far as I can tell,
there is is no such query provided in ManageHelpers, and it is certainly not
provided as part of GroupNavigation.

Cheers,
Norbert