[xmonad] How to make per-window keyboard layouts?

Alexander V Vershilov alexander.vershilov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 10:06:41 CEST 2012

Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:36:56AM -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Petr P <petr.mvd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     However that's a bit inconvenient. For many windows (i.e. browser,
>     terminal) I need to keep the US layout most of the time. I need the
>     localized layout only for text editors in 99% of cases. And I switch
>     windows/workspaces a lot, so I have to switch the layouts manually
>     almost every time I switch.
>

> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82891 might be of interest.  (It's
> not Arch-specific, although I can't promise that your system has xxkb
> packaged.)
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
> unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net

Xxkb has some problems with non-reparenting WM like xmonad, same for Xneur.
However there was per-window-layout module in xmonad-extras and you can try to
use kbdd (self adv), it packages exists for gentoo, debian. If you are using
xmonad without ICCCWM hook then you can use pre 0.6.2 version as it latest
non-ICCCWM support is dropped until I found a good way to monitor system
changes.

[1] https://github.com/qnikst/kbdd

--
Alexander V Vershilov.