[xmonad] xmonad and launcher prompt memory

Carlos López Camey c.lopez at kmels.net
Wed Sep 19 14:43:52 CEST 2012

Hello Carsten,

After I started the launcher prompt and did some queries, the resident
memory shown in `top` went from 5620 bytes in a restarted xmonad to
6440 bytes. After doing more queries it stopped at 7280 bytes.

I observed the same behavior with the shell prompt (Prompt.Shell), but
I am not sure if it is due to the new patch. Could someone that
doesn't have the patch applied that a look?

If the new patch is the reason, the guilty data type might be
XPOperationMode in XPState:

> data XPOperationMode = XPSingleMode ComplFunction XPType | XPMultipleModes (W.Stack XPType)

where

> data XPType = forall p . XPrompt p => XPT p
> type ComplFunction = String -> IO [String]

I am not sure what should I do to get the XPState garbage collected
when a window prompt is destroyed. Help?

cheers