[xmonad] question screens

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Sun Apr 21 11:57:41 CEST 2013

On Apr 17, 2013 6:01 AM, "lg" <fmljo at web.de> wrote:
> I'm used to gnome desktop switching so i'd like to switch both screen and
not just
> the screen where my mouse pointer is located.
> I't seems like Xmonad is treating every screen as a single screen.
>
> How can i change these settings ? Is it even possible ?

Your question *sounds* confused, but I think you are using the word
'screen' to mean two different things here.

I'm guessing that you have two or more monitors on your system? IIRC, Gnome
treats both visible monitors as part of the same desktop, and will change
the contents of both of them at the same time when you switch to a
different desktop.

XMonad doesn't think that way by default; each monitor holds a different
'workspace', and there is no such thing as a 'desktop'. You can choose
which workspace a monitor holds, but only for the currently active one
(mod-1, mod-2, mod-3 etc).

If you want to continue treating the two monitors as a single 'desktop',
one simple way would be to use new keybindings that change the contents of
each screen at the same time -- the two screens are not really related to
each other, but your new keybindings would move both of them together.

You'll need to find a example of changing keybindings that you are
comfortable with, have a look at a few of the example xmonad.hs configs
out there -- http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive for a
good start. Then have a go at creating a couple of keybindings that do what
you want, e.g. "make left view active, switch to workspace 1, make right
view active, switch to workspace 2".

There may be a contrib module out there that does this for you that someone
else might know ... ? ;-)

-jim