[xmonad] Looking to deploy xmonad to ~20 employees

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 10:43:57 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner at vorner.cz>wrote:

> I hope they don't eat you alive for that ;-).

They are used to running Windows XP. It is slow, it crashes (mostly due to
the legacy
application I mentioned) and due to security reasons (XP being what it is)
a lot of stuff
isn't allowed. With Linux/xmonad we can open up a bit more, and they will
get the benefit
of running the legacy application in a WM that will reboot lightning fast.

The only thing they might eat me alive for, is the lack of easy personal
customization of
things such as wallpapers.

I know that's not exactly what you're asking for, but there are two other
> possibilities (I think both need the VirtualBox guest additions inside the
> virtual machine):
>  • Let the Windows auto-resize according to the size of the VirtualBox
> window.
>    That way, the Window desktop would be slightly smaller, but nothing
> would be
>    missing.

It eats too many vertical pixels. The legacy application isn't too pleased
with that.

>  • There's some kind of seamless mode in VirtualBox. It then just takes the
>    windows inside the virtual machine and tries to present them as
> stand-alone
>    windows in your WM, removing all the Windows desktop and taskbar, etc.

I intend to try this, but I'm not too sure it will work. I suspect the task
bar will "fall out"
also, unless I can somehow get rid of xmobar on that specific workspace.
But seamless
is most certainly an option.

> It's not VNC as such, but I use xmonad through ssh X11 forwarding (so I
> have
> local X server, remote xmonad and all the programs). It works well this
> way and
> in mixed mode too (some programs local, some remote, xmonad on either
> computer).
>
> I guess VNC wouldn't make much difference, since it's only transferring the
> final image somewhere else, so it shouldn't make a difference with the
> window
> manager used.

I need plain old vanilly VNC access for support. If someone is having
issues with their
system I need to be able to log in and see the problem and help them fix
it. This rules out
X11 forwarding I believe.

:o)
Thomas Løcke