[xmonad] darcs patch: XMonad.Config.Prime, a do-notation for config

me at twifkak.com me at twifkak.com
Tue Mar 12 10:30:11 CET 2013

Hello, folks,

It's me again. First off, I see that you released 0.11 in Dec. Nice! Second, I
took some time to take another crack at this config thing. (Previous thread:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2012-September/013045.html.)

Because of the problems you guys mentioned with Template Haskell, I:
1. replaced the fclabels dependency with the lighter data-accessor.
2. replaced the StateT with a fake monad, so the type of the layoutHook can be
   changed without that existential mess.

The upside is an even cleaner syntax. The downside is:
1. You have to come to terms with having RebindableSyntax in your xmonad.hs.
2. Error messages are uglier (thanks, in part, to the really long layout types).

Docs at: http://twifkak.com/xmonad-junk/XMonad-Config-Prime2.html

Thoughts?
Devin

1 patch for repository http://code.haskell.org/XMonadContrib:

Mon Mar 11 02:46:17 PDT 2013  me at twifkak.com
  * XMonad.Config.Prime, a do-notation for config
  Note that the use of RebindableSyntax is because of the need to vary the
  layoutHook type throughout the config. The alternative, using the existential
  Layout type, was rejected because it required TemplateHaskell in order to look
  nice, and TemplateHaskell is not portable.