[xmonad] Issue 537 in xmonad: xmonad does not process urxvt+vim repaint request

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Mar 21 19:31:07 CET 2013

Owner: ----

New issue 537 by dansp... at gmail.com: xmonad does not process urxvt+vim
repaint request

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Open a terminal
2. urxvt -e "/bin/bash" -c "vim <path of vim file with 100 lines+>"

The buffer is distorted:
-The bottom half of the text is not visible (black area)
-The lines that are visible are not the correct lines (e.g. line 10 is
rendered where line 50 should be), moving the vim cursor to a line repaints
that line, but that line only

XMonad 0.10 on Ubuntu 12.10

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".
Using stock xmonad.hs results in the same problems, so I did not attacch my
xmonad.hs.

This problem disappears if you add a long enough sleep before opening vim,
e.g.:
urxvt -e "/bin/zsh" -c "sleep 1; vim <path of vim file with 100 lines+>"

I really have no clue how XMonad interacts with X or how X works, but my
best guess is that there is some kind of race condition and XMonad misses
the repaint command from urxvt.