[xmonad] Xmonad 0.10, Xfce, Wheezy Stable

Alexander Genaud alex at genaud.net
Thu May 9 02:40:56 CEST 2013

Hello All,

In the four years I've been using Xmonad, I have only convinced one
other human to try it and she too has become an addict. For most of
that time, I had been using Ubuntu with either Gnome 2 or
fallback/classic. However, in an attempt to ween myself from most DE
candy, I have installed stable Debian Wheezy with Xfce.

Starting up Xmonad, Xfce on Wheezy was much easier than the Xmonad
wiki would have you believe. I installed xmonad and
libghc6-xmonad-contrib-dev, a four line xmonad.hs using xfceConfig,
and had the option to choose the WM at login. But I am having some
trouble with the panel. Perhaps you can help.

Because I do not need it often, I am starting the xfce4-panel from the
command line as needed. But the panel behaves strangely: floating
above or behind other windows. Only after moving windows around to
different workspaces, the panel eventually behaves like other well
tiled windows. I wonder if there is a better way. Can I have the panel
hidden by default but appear with the standard mod-b key?

Should I be concerned by these warnings whenever I start xfce4-panel?:
"g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed (domain ! = 0)" and
"Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment
variable not defined"

Also I'm curious. Is there any difference between xfceConfig and desktopConfig?

Cheers,
Alex

[ B068 ED90 F47B 0965 2953 9FC3 EE9C C4D5 3E51 A207 ]