[xmonad] Xmonad 0.10, Xfce, Wheezy Stable

Alexander Genaud alex at genaud.net
Thu May 9 03:39:35 CEST 2013

Thanks Brandon,

> I don't understand this. I use xmonad/xfce myself on two machines, and the
> only time the panel misbehaves is a known bug in how our strut handling is
> hooked into desktopConfig (you can correct it yourself in your config; see
> XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks.docksEventHook).

I think I've used ManageDocks in the past (without fully knowing what
I was doing). I'll look further into ManageDocks. I don't seem to be
able to consistently reproduce the problem I described earlier.

How do you start xfce4-panel? .xinitrc, .xsession or is it automatic
with xfce session? And do you know if I can set the panel hidden by
default (as if I pressed mod-b)?

> This sounds like you may not actually be running a proper xfce session?

How would I know and what does the session provide?

> xfceConfig specifies Xfce's Terminal as the default terminal emulator in
> place of xterm, and rebinds mod-p (dmenu_run) to Xfce's application run
> dialog, mod-shift-p (gmrun) to xfce4-appfinder, and mod-shift-q (quit
> xmonad) to Xfce's session logout dialog. The latter is somewhat important,
> as the Xfce session manager would simply restart xmonad if it exited in the
> usual way.

Thanks. Incidentally, whether I use desktopConfig or xfceConfig, both
produce the same error when I press mod-shift-Q and I don't seem to be
able to logout:

     Failed to receive a reply from the session manager
     The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Cheers,
Alex