[xmonad] Did the latest patch break the build?

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Tue May 28 18:48:58 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Daniel Wagner <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> On 2013-05-28 11:34, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Daniel Wagner <daniel at wagner-home.com>
>> wrote:

>>> It works for me with a fresh pull of xmonad and XMonadContrib.
>>> You'll need the latest xmonad from darcs, though.
>>

>> I did delete ~/.ghc and ~/.cabal before rebuilding xmonad and
>> XmonadContrib. Shouldn't XmonadContrib find and use the xmonad
>> version just built from darcs HEAD? Do you know how it could
>> believe there's no xmonad and it has to fetch+build from hackage?
>

> It should, yes. If it doesn't, that's between you and your ghc-pkg, I guess.
> Maybe you built but did not register, or registered but in the wrong
> (local/global) database or something like that?

For whatever reason running cabal clean, cabal configure,
cabal install in an xmonad darcs tree doesn't list xmonad
in ghc-pkg list. Rerunning cabal instal in xmonad says it's
a reinstall. What could be the reason?

>> Assuming this warning is new do we want to or have to keep it?
>> XMonad/Core.hs:195:13: Warning:
>>     This binding for `def' shadows the existing binding
>>       imported from `Data.Default' at XMonad/Core.hs:40:1-19
>>       (and originally defined in `data-default-class-0.0.1:
>> Data.Default.Class')
>

> Hm, looks like that warning slipped by me. I'll take a look a bit later
> today if somebody doesn't beat me to it. Probably isn't hard to fix, and I
> agree clean builds matter.

It matters even more as a sure way to avoid potential build errors with
future GHC versions. I wish everyone would take warnings seriously
as you do and fix them when the code is fresh and has attention :-).