[Yhc] Suitability of yhc for handheld Haskell

Tony Sloane asloane at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Nov 27 23:44:42 EST 2005

Hi all,

We at Macquarie Uni have been working for some time on handheld
implementations of Haskell.  Our most recent efforts have focused on
nhc98 and we have a "mostly working" version of the nhc98 runtime for
Palm OS.  Our aim is to provide a testbed for DSL-based specification
of handheld applications.

I am excited by the potential that yhc offers for making handheld
Haskell easier to build and work with.  yhc seems to offer a great
deal for our project (e.g., portability, cross platform bytecode,
less/no reliance on C linker).

So, my question to you is: Would you advise active use of the yhc
code as a basis for our handheld work?  Is it stable enough to be
useful for this at this point?  We can probably put up with
deficiencies at the compiler end since we don't expect to write very
large or complex programs in the near future but we need the runtime
to be stable so we can be sure of the port.  Or should we wait?  Any
other comments?

I'm hoping that it is stable enough since we want to get quite a bit
of work done over the (Southern Hemisphere) summer.

Cheers,
Tony Sloane

Dept of Computing, Macquarie University, Sydney