[Yhc] Compiling Prelude.hs

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:01:00 EST 2006

> I wonder how this bootstrapping version of base was built. When I
> tried to do this manually the compiler died with stack overflow.  Is
> it because the compiler is tring to import Prelude while compiling
> Prelude?

Yes, its something like that. There are also problems with recursive
dependancies I believe - things like IO require the Prelude, and the
Prelude requires IO. If you look at the Unix makefile, that really
does try and build them - it also requires the special flag
--unifyhack or something. I believe it also requires modifying the .hi
file by hand as well.

The hope is in future that compiling the Prelude will be as simple as
"yhc Prelude.hs" - but this requires quite a few changes before thats
ready.

Thanks

Neil