[Yhc] YHC on debian/arm & Nokia 770 , YHC FFI compatibility for gtk2hs ?

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Thu Jan 19 07:09:11 EST 2006

Greetings from the SubArctic,

I've acquired a Nokia 770 and would like to write and run Haskell apps on it.
The Nokia 770 is a slightly modified debian/arm with 64mb ram and 128mb flash.

I want gtk2hs for graphic apps, and I want small binaries so I can distribute
apps I've written. That leaves out GHC for size, and nhc98 for lack of gtk2hs.

I spoke to Duncan Coutts on IRC, he said that running gtk2hs with nhc98 was
unlikely, but gtk2hs with YHC was likely.

After reading about YHC some, I am particularly enthusiastic about the idea of
tiny bytecode programs with a runtime written in C.

Duncan said that the points needed to get gtk2hs working with YHC are:
* eliminate use of -fglasgow-exts
* get the gtkhs build system working with YHC
* figure out if FFI calls will be different with YHC

A look at http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/yhc/report.html implies that the
FFI doesn't work at all. Is that correct?

Are there any other obstacles in the way of getting gtk2hs working with YHC?

Thanks,
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.