[Yhc] YHC on debian/arm & Nokia 770 , YHC FFI compatibility for gtk2hs ?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 09:40:49 EST 2006

Hi,

> I spoke to Duncan Coutts on IRC, he said that running gtk2hs with nhc98 was
> unlikely, but gtk2hs with YHC was likely.

I have had some initial discussion with Duncan, its documented at
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/Gtk2Hs - its certainly a plan!

> A look at http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/yhc/report.html implies that the
> FFI doesn't work at all. Is that correct?

Yes, but thats only temporary - Tom wrote some initial FFI stuff at
some point, its a bit of work but nothing insurmountable (I think). I
don't know exactly what it will take to get FFI done (quite possibly
just Tom's time, which is sadly in short supply)

> Are there any other obstacles in the way of getting gtk2hs working with YHC?

Not that I know of, and in fact Gyhe
(http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/Yhe) is written using Gtk2Hs,
so its pretty important that we get Gtk working or we won't be able to
distribute a small cross platform evaluator.

Thanks

Neil