[Yhc] corep option, compiling the compiler

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 16:29:41 EST 2006

Hi Henk,

> According to http://yhc06.blogspot.com/2006/09/yhccore-api-available.html
> this option should exist, but it is not listed with command
>     yhc -?

The option got renamed to -core in the last week, as part of the
ongoing Core cleanup effort.

> (By the way, the help info uses "yhcc" instead of "yhc".)

How did you obtain Yhc? From what date? I've just checked and yhcc is
no longer anywhere in the source tree, so shouldn't be displayed that
way.

> Another problem is, that I cannot get the compiler compiled at my Windows
> XP system (I am using GHC 6.4, so I can use wxHaskell, and Darcs 1.0.3)
>
> After running
>     Makefile.bat all
> I get the messages:

The makefile.bat is no longer the correct way to compile on Windows,
now all systems use the Scons make system -
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/Building. You might also want to
check that you are using the haskell.org repo, not the york.ac.uk one.

Sorry about this, quite a few things have changed quite recently and
none of the documentation is quite up to date yet!

> Can you help me get things working?

Hopefully with the new information, you should be able to build Yhc.
Unfortunately Dr Haskell won't work with Yhc any more - the changes to
the Core language will have broken it. However, I plan to fix this up,
and given that there is demand will hopefully fix Dr Haskell on
Monday.

Thanks

Neil