[Yhc] pure-Haskell Integer implementation

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Thu Jul 26 11:42:30 EDT 2007

I was working on a re-implementation of the Integer type in pure Haskell
earlier this summer, represented by [Int], thinking it might be useful
as a less-broken alternative to GMP than using plain Int for Integer.
The code turned out around 500-1000 lines.  It got pretty much working
(in yhc, ghc, and hugs; according to QuickCheck comparing the results
with native Integer anyway), though the code's still somewhat messy
...and large Integer division seems to be sometimes slower than expected
(maybe a strictness issue, haven't looked into it) ...although, all
functions are fast for small values that fit in one Int.  Is anyone
interested in more details or work on this?

(P.S. I wonder if I should ask any other mailing list than yhc's?)

Isaac