[Yhc] ByteString

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:56:55 EDT 2007

Hi

> Well, if you don't mind I'd like to do it.  I'm trying to understand your
> sourcecode anyway, so I might as well do something useful while I'm fussing
> with it.  I guess I didn't really know about these reliability issues with
> ByteString though, do you have some anecdotes or references about it?

The problem isn't that the ByteString functions don't work - they do,
and very reliably. The reliability thing is that on GHC 6.4 you have
to include the fps library, in GHC 6.6 you have to include base
(including fps breaks things), and in GHC 6.8 it may change again. The
necessary features in Cabal that allow this are still being written.

These are purely build system changes, so if you do the work of
porting to ByteString, we'll figure out the build issues after.

The one question you are bound to ask shortly is why we use
ReversedPackedStrings, rather than PackedStrings in some cases - and
the answer to that is there is no good reason. In the work if you fix
all the cases where we have Reversed strings to normal strings that
would be great!

Thanks

Neil