[Yhc] ByteString

Thomas Shackell shackell at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 09:28:10 EDT 2007

Creighton Hogg wrote:

> Yeah in line with Neal's suggestion, I had added a FakeString module
> that was imported by SysDeps as PackedString and just provided
> unpackPS = id
> and
> packString = id
> I had done something silly where that first one didn't build properly,
> but now that that's fixed I'm getting errors I don't really understand
> on 5 of the tests.  I'll probably look at them tonight & ask questions
> about how chunks of the code work.

hmm I would have thought that String and PackedString should behave
identical, apart from the 'packedness'. Still there could be some subtle
semantic difference ...

> I guess I'm really confused then why you'd be reversing the strings in
 > the first place.

Yeah. Yhc was developed from nhc98, which for some strange reason liked
to reverse strings sometimes. We've never really discovered why and have
avoided trying to fix it, so it's just sort of stayed that way.

But be assured, it's just as confusing to us as it is to you ;-)

Cheers

Tom