[Yhc] Fwd: YHC for use in Lego Mindstorms NXT

Neil Mitchell ndm at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 30 19:10:06 EDT 2007

>From Alexis:

Hi Neil,

I got your email from the YHC website, and I have several questions
which I hope you can answer for me. I am an MSc student working on the
development of a Haskell system for use with the Lego Mindstorms NXT
(My intent is to port it using the GCC-ARM toolchain and get it
running with the NXT firmware). For the most part I need a Haskell
compiler that will run within the 256KB memory space. YHc seems like
it could be perfect for such an application, but I am curious about
the following:

- Is YHc VM based? Or can it compile Haskell directly to C code, or
both, or some intermediate code?

- What is the typical memory footprint of the compiler/programs?
Especially the interpreter/VM...? (I'm trying to compare this to GHc,
for instance)

Thanks in advance for your kind response.

Cheers,
--
</Alexis>