[Yhc] Yhc autumn cleaning

Mathieu Boespflug mboes at tweag.net
Wed Nov 7 04:34:46 EST 2007

Hi,

> >   * Remove Make/ from src.
>
> There is no Make/ in src, its in the root. And it is an alternative
> build system - please do not remove until we've decided on the "one
> true" build system.

Sure. I guess then this patch should be part of the set of patches
removing SCons, which may or may not be applied at a later date
depending on the outcome of the Great Build System Debate. I asked
another Yhc developer about Make/ who told me as far as he knew this
wasn't being worked on anymore. Is it still being worked on?

I note Make/ contains source for a Haskell based make system. Isn't it
essential that Yhc have a build system that doesn't have Haskell as a
dependency? The Yhc runtime has the big advantage of being a bytecode
interpreter, meaning porting to a new architecture is theoretically a
case of compiling the C runtime using a C compiler, then running the
platform independent Yhc bytecode generated by some other computer.
Henceforth you have a working Haskell compiler on an entirely new
platform having started only with a C compiler. Someday maybe, this
could be an alternative way of boostrapping GHC. Using CMake for
building only means that more than a C compiler, you need a C++
compiler, but you don't need a Haskell compiler (at least to build the
runtime).

> >   * Cleanup the misc/ directory.
>
> Everything in this directory either had a purpose, or still does -
> leave it alone.

The files removed by this patch are Batch.hs and Makefile.bpp, which
seems to be yet another method for building under Windows and written
in a Visual Basic like language. If the other build systems subsume
this (or once they do), shouldn't these files be removed?

> >   * Remove the src/compiler98 folder, which is now unused.
>
> Kill, kill, kill!
>
> >   * Remove msvc files in BCKernel directory.
>
> No, these are visual studio support, and are used by the Windows build.

Does this mean they are used by the scons based windows build?

> >   * Remove toplevel test/ dir. It looks unused.
>
> Does it not have any files in it? Mine seems to have one, but that may
> be out of the main repo. The test directory was intended to die, as
> I've been gradually moving tests into the "tests" dir. Certainly
> anything left in test/ should be moved into tests/ then test/ should
> die.

It just has Split.hs, which this patch removes, along with the test/ dir.

Regards,

Mathieu