Status and future of the LLVM backend

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 23:27:19 UTC 2014

I've written down some thoughts on the current status and future
direction of the LLVM backend here [1]. Have a look when you get a chance.

To summarize,

  * it seems like LLVM 3.4 chokes on the code produced by my 3.5 rework
    when the `$def` symbols are marked as internal

  * ARM is broken (again) due to a bug in the GHC calling convention
    implementation; an LLVM fix is waiting to be merged

  * I have code reworking TNTC for LLVM 3.6; unfortunately LLVM 3.6
    support will likely need to wait until 7.12

  * Austin's LLVM packaging proposal seems very much like the right way
    forward

  * Anticipating this proposal, I have started collecting [2]
    optimization passes

Cheers,

- Ben

[1]: http://smart-cactus.org/~ben/posts/2014-11-28-state-of-llvm-backend.html