GHC Weekly News (was: Status updates)

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Sep 15 13:28:45 UTC 2014

Hi *,

Note the title change. After some discussion with Simon last week, we
decided to change up the name a bit, since we want the discussion on

 - As Gabor mentioned on the list earlier, I accidentally broke the
Windows build. I'm sorry. :( We really need to get Phab building
Windows too ASAP... I'm working on a fix this morning. (There are
still a lot of upstream changes waiting to go into the Phabricator
code base.)

 - I sent out the HCAR draft this morning. Please edit it! I think we
have a few weeks of lead time however, so we're not in a rush like
last time. But I will remind you. :)

 - The server migration for ghc.haskell.org seems to have gone pretty
smoothly in the past week. It's had plenty of traffic so far. The full
migration is still ongoing and I want to complete it this week.

 - I've finished reorganizing some of the Git and Repository pages
after some discussion. We now have the Repositories[1] page, linked to
on the left side, which details some notes on the repositories we use,
and links to other various pages. I'm thinking of replacing this
side-bar "root" with a link to the main Git[2] page, perhaps.

 - Miscellaneous: ghc.haskell.org and phabricator.haskell.org now sets
the "Strict-Transport-Security" header. This just means you always use
SSL now when you visit those pages (so you can't be
connection-hijacked via a 503 redirect).

 - I'm merging some patches at the moment, although the windows fix is
currently what I'll push first: D205, D204, D203, D199, D194, D179,
D174. Do let me know if there's anything you want me to look at.

 - GHC works on Wine apparently for all you Linux users - thanks Mikolaj![3]

 - Jan had some questions about infrastructure which I just followed
up on this morning. In particular: does anyone feel strongly about his
first question?[4]

 - Herbert committed the first part of the Traversable/Foldable
changes, by moving the typeclasses to Prelude. This is part of an
ongoing series of patches. Things like adding Bifunctor will finally
come after this.[5]

Also, added bonus: we'll start including some of the tickets we closed
this week.

Closed tickets for the past week include: #9585, #9545, #9581, #6086,
#9558, and #3658.

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Repositories
[2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git
[3] https://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2014-September/006283.html