A simpler ORF

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 05:15:08 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've been following the various discussions about changes to Haskell's
record system, and I find that most of the current proposals are fairly
complex, especially for the benefit they provide.

I use Haskell records a lot, and I've been wondering if there might be a
simpler alternative, one that:
  1. will allow us to reuse field names across records
  2. does not require any fancy types
  3. it will not preclude continued research on "the right" way to get more
type-based record resolution.

Based on designs I've seen in the past, my experience with Haskell records,
and discussions with colleagues, I put together a document describing a
potential design that, I think, satisfies goals 1 to 3:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Records/OverloadedRecordFields/Simple

I think the proposal should be fairly simple to implement, and I'd be
willing to do it, if there is enough support from the community.

Let me know what you think!

-Iavor