[Haskell-cafe] Difference between div and /

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 18:29:11 EDT 2010

> [1] By co I mean Ruby, Python, Perl and others. There are no so many
> languages that do recognize the difference.

% python -Q new
Python 2.4.6 (#1, Aug  3 2009, 17:05:16)
10 / 3
#-> 3.3333333333333335
10 // 3
#-> 3

The python guys decided that int/int -> int was a mistake, but because
it's an incompatible change, the removal process has been long (hence
the -Q flag, or a from __future__ import).  In fact, I think they gave
up on making it the default before python 3.

I appreciate that haskell has differentiated from the beginning.