[Haskell-cafe] Re: Difference between div and /

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 20:05:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 01:13 +0200, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> > > % python -Q new
> > > Python 2.4.6 (#1, Aug  3 2009, 17:05:16)
> > > [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)] on darwin
> > > Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
> > > 10 / 3
> > > #-> 3.3333333333333335
> > > 10 // 3
> > > #-> 3
> > >

> > > The python guys decided that int/int -> int was a mistake, but because
> > > it's an incompatible change, the removal process has been long (hence
> > > the -Q flag, or a from __future__ import).  In fact, I think they gave
> > > up on making it the default before python 3.
> > >
> > > I appreciate that haskell has differentiated from the beginning.
> >
> > Well - i tried to write some package dealing with distributions etc.
> >
> > If you have something like that:
> >
> > instance ... => Distribution (Linear a) a where
> >     rand (Linear f s) g =
> >         let (gf, gt) = genRange g
> >             (v, g') = next g
> >         in (g', f + (fromIntegral v * s) / fromIntegral (gt - gf))
> >
> > (I haven't check it but IMHO it is right implementation)
> >
> > Now I have following options:
> >
> >  - Implement per Int/Int8/...
> >  - Implement IntegerLinear and FractionalLinear separatly
>
> - use realToFrac instead of fromIntegral
> (using the logfloat package is probably not a bad idea then)

I'm not quire sure how to use it. I would have to either use floor/...
which would make result Integral or left it as it is and having
(Fractional a, Real a) constraint.

> > Neither of choices are IMHO not ideal.
>
> Methinks that is not what you wanted to say ;)

Ups. Sorry - it's rather late and I'm not native speaker (and my native
language do use double negation). "Neither of the choices are ideal
IMHO".

> > Regards

Regards