[Haskell-cafe] design question/font metrics

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 3 13:08:38 EDT 2010

Maybe you could check out the FTGL package for inspiration on  using
the freetype as a conventional C library. I was going to try to write
a Hackage package but realised I know nothing about typography and had
to start reading the intro. on Freetype's homepage (which is pretty
good, actually). Maybe I'll try it on the weekend. I needed something
to measure the size in pixels of some text for a given font and point
size, so I used libgd and manually analysed the pixels. It wasn't fast
but it worked perfectly. So, Gery, if you don't really need speed all
that much, that's a quick route to success. Otherwise maybe we could
work on something with the Freetype library.