[Haskell-cafe] Re: Problems with Haskell Platform

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:21:48 EDT 2010

On 4 June 2010 10:27, Jens Petersen <petersen at haskell.org> wrote:
> On 31 May 2010 20:14, Pete Chown <1 at 234.cx> wrote:
>> I was just thinking, interactions between Cabal and the distribution package
>> manager could get worse, as shared Haskell libraries become more common.
>>  Suppose a distribution ships a package 'foo', but not a package 'bar' which
>> depends on it.  The 'foo' package includes shared libraries.  The user now
>> installs 'bar' using Cabal.  This causes Cabal to install 'foo' (because it
>> is a dependency) and it won't use the distribution's package manager.
>
> This is a good valid point and one I have been worrying about myself sometimes.
>
> I often find myself hitting Ctrl-C at "cabal install HACKAGE" to run
> "yum install ghc-DEPENDENCY-devel"
> and before returning to run "cabal install" again.
>
> It would be nice to automate this in some way - cabal-install plugins, anyone??

How difficult is it just to create an RPM for yourself and then put it
up in some repository for other people to use?

I never use cabal-install to install packages at home (with the
exception of testing versions of libraries I'm writing as I'm writing
them); instead I create a new ebuild for whatever I want and then put
that in the Haskell overlay for Gentoo.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com