[Haskell-cafe] Cabal -j

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 00:57:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> wasserman.louis:
>> What, if anything, stands in the way of parallelizing Cabal installs, make -j
>> style?
>
> Parallelizing ghc --make
>
>    http://vimeo.com/6572966

Something I wondered from watching that talk, rather than trying to
make ghc run concurrently internally, can we just have --make, when
faced with multiple possibilities, pick the first one without a
'ModuleName.working' file, create such a working file, and then go to?

Then you can run 'ghc --make X.hs &; ghc --make X.hs &; ...'.

In fact, isn't that what make -j already does?  I could try it with
the old style 'ghc -M' and pure makefile, but it turns out to be a lot
of work to figure out what packages to include and tangle out the
right .o files and whatnot, work that --make does for me.