[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Woes on MacOS 10.6 - linking issues

Pepe Iborra pepeiborra at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 10:02:00 EDT 2010

(moving to the cafe)

There is an incompatibility between the version of iconv in Mac Os and
the one included in MacPorts.
As the RTS of the build of ghc in the Haskell Platform is linked
against Mac Os iconv, you cannot use it with the build of gtk2hs from
MacPorts.

This is a known issue already commented elsewhere, in case you haven't
found it already:

http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@haskell.org/msg69139.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2726248/ghc-6-12-and-macports

Cheers,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Brett Giles <brett.giles at ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I seem to have Gtk2HS 0.11 installed, but not quite working. Interestingly, I can run a demo, such as the hello/World.hs example, directly in ghci. However, when I try to do a ghc --make on any code containing gtk2hs I get a link error like this:
>
> Undefined symbols:
>  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
>      _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
>  "_iconv", referenced from:
>      _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
>  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
>      _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
> ld: symbol(s) not found
>

> I do have libiconv installed as a universal library via macports. gtk, glade etc., are also universal installed via macports.
>
> I downloaded the OSX Haskell Platform package and am running ghc 6.12.1
>
> Other programs seem to be having some issues as well though,  For instance, a command line program seems to compile fine, but when it runs I get the message:
>
> $ emlqpl (<<<--- My "successfully" compiled program - batch only, no gtk items)
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libgtk-quartz-2.0.0.dylib
>  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/emlqpl
>  Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Brett Giles
> Grad Student, Formal Methods, Category Theory,
> University of Calgary
> brett.giles at ucalgary.ca

-- José Iborra        http://www.dsic.upv.es/~jiborra
-- UPV Valencia       Telf. (+34) 96 387 00 00 (ext) 83529
-- Camino de Vera s/n. 46022 Valencia (Spain)