[Haskell-cafe] Literate programming

Hamish Mackenzie hamish.k.mackenzie at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 13 00:44:26 EDT 2010

On 13 Jun 2010, at 08:33, John Millikin wrote:
>> Does any of you use leksah? I failed to see any support for literate
>> programming in leksah. It candies the backslashes in e.g.
>> \documentclass{article} to λdocumentclass{article}.
>>
> I've tried using Leksah, but it doesn't display tabs, which obviously
> makes formatting rather difficult / impossible. I wonder how anybody
> can use it -- do they just use spaces and avoid indenting completely?

Pressing the tab key in Leksah inserts spaces to take you to the appropriate place.  Backspace key does not currently work as well as it should to go back a level of indentation.

Using tab characters in Haskell code is a bad idea...
http://urchin.earth.li/~ian/style/haskell.html

If you don't have time to read the full article, then here is the conclusion they reach...
"Do not use tabs. At all. Now all programs look identical everywhere, and everyone is happy, regardless of their editor settings! From simplicity comes beauty."

Hamish