[Haskell-cafe] Graph type

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 23:23:04 EDT 2010

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap at gmail.com> writes:

> I love this list ... thanks Roman.
>
> I take it that there is nothing obviously inefficient about this approach to
> graph - as in the graph type.

Sure there is (using p = |V|, q = |E|):

* Finding a particular node is O(p).

* Adding an edge to an already existing node is also O(p).

* Finding reverse edges is O(q) (probably more actually since you'd be
  checking every node that you have and then checking if the other end
  is in the list of relationships).

etc.

The main advantage of your type is that it's O(1) to add a new node +
successor edges.

Now, depending upon what you're wanting to do, this may suffice.
However, there are a couple of alternatives:

* Use Data.Graph from containers

* Use either Data.Graph.Inductive.Tree or
  Data.Graph.Inductive.PatriciaTree (which has better performance but
  doesn't allow multiple edges) from fgl.

* If you still want a custom type, then something like "Map v (Set v)"
  would be much more efficient than using [(v, [v])] (this could be
  improved at the expense of disk space and more bookkeeping by using
  "Map v (Set v, Set v)" to store both successor and predecessor edges).