[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell-beginners] Accounting Engine in Haskell

Max Cantor mxcantor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:29:20 EDT 2010

I think Haskell would be an excellent choice.

Several reasons come to mind:

Given the arbitrary complexity of such projects, an EDSL describing book entries etc would be a very good fit for the project.  As people have said once or twice, Haskell is a great fit for EDSLs

If you want to get ambitious and scale this up to a multithreaded, multiuser environment, STM would be a very good concurrency model.  This pretty much just leaves Haskell or Clojure.

Finally, the type system of haskell is hugely useful to this project.  Jane Street Capital (ocaml users and damned good at it) has a programming motto: make illegal transactions unrepresentative.  The type systems of Haskell and OCaml let you structure this kind of project in a way to catch most of your bugs at compile time.

So, I think Haskell is the perfect intersection of EDSL support, Concurrency, and powerful, static typing for the project.

Good luck, keep us informed of your progress.

Max