[Haskell-cafe] zlib or digest package installation

Daniel Kahlenberg d.kahlenberg at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 20 13:05:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

when installing pandoc package, which has digest somewhere in
dependencies the usual cabal install stucks because zlib.h is missing,
so I explicitly installed zlib package first, then installing digest
(can also replace that directly with pandoc here) with the
--extra-include-dirs parameter set:

Prelude System.Cmd>
> rawSystem "cabal" ["install", "digest", "-v3", "--user", "--
> build-log=d:/temp/log/build-$$pkgid-$$compiler-msys.log", "--reinstall", "--data
> dir=$$prefix/haskell-pkgdata", "--extra-include-dirs=C:\\Users\\daniel\\AppData\
> \Roaming\\cabal\\zlib-0.5.2.0\\ghc-6.12.1\\include"]

Is there something to improve in one of the packages cabal file to
overcome the need to explicitly specify the header file locations of
already installed packages or is that a consequence of not installing
them as developer packages simply, so i. e. to have the header file
zlib.h at the specified location is more a bonus to have in that situation?

Greetz
Daniel