[Haskell-cafe] Accounting Engine in Haskell

Paul Johnson paul at cogito.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 17:30:33 EDT 2010

On 15/06/10 09:08, Amiruddin Nagri wrote:

> I wanted some insight as to how Haskell is going to help me with my
> project. Also there has been some concerns because of lazy evaluation
> in Haskell and memory leaks associated with it.
> http://jlouisramblings.blogspot.com/2010/04/haskell-vs-erlang-for-bittorent-clients.html

In this talk:
http://www.galois.com/blog/2009/04/27/engineering-large-projects-in-haskell-a-decade-of-fp-at-galois/
Don Stewart says that memory leaks are a tractable problem.  Just
profile and look for the retainers.

Lazy evaluation is a big win for large projects because it lets you
modularise your solution; one function generates a data structure, and
another function (or several) consume it.  If the data structure is big
or infinite then conventional languages force you to either interleave
the generator and consumer, or else jump through lots of hoops
re-inventing lazy evaluation on a case-by-case basis.  With Haskell you
just say what you mean and let the compiler worry about implementing it.