[Haskell-cafe] Call for comments: neither package

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:51:28 EDT 2010

On 29 June 2010 15:38, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Ivan Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 June 2010 15:20, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
>> > As far as I know, the only issue with depending on both is the
>> > conflicting
>> > orphan Monad instance for Either. Can anyone either confirm or deny
>> > this?
>>
>> Since you're being naughty and using package-qualified imports, it
>> should be OK (in terms of working).
>>
> Is naughty simply tongue-in-cheek, or are there detriments to it? You know,
> besides not all compilers supporting them...

A bit of both.  Someone (dons?) had a good discussion on the Haskell
reddit about why you shouldn't use them, but I can't seem to find it
at the moment (I did find this one, but I seem to recall a better
discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/bfcfs/haskells_big_three/c0mhqtg
).  Otherwise, the documentation for it discourages its use:
http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.2/html/users_guide/syntax-extns.html#package-imports

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com