[Haskell-cafe] GSoC Project Proposal: Markdown support for Haddock

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 18:49:04 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Haddock's current markup language leaves something to be desired once
you want to write more serious documentation (e.g. several paragraphs
of introductory text at the top of the module doc). Several features
are lacking (bold text, links that render as text instead of URLs,
inline HTML).

I suggest that we implement an alternative haddock syntax that's a
superset of Markdown. It's a superset in the sense that we still want
to support linkifying Haskell identifiers, etc. Modules that want to
use the new syntax (which will probably be incompatible with the
current syntax) can set:

{-# HADDOCK Markdown #-}

on top of the source file.

Ticket: http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/244