ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Juanma Barranquero lekktu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:07:56 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 3:53 PM, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can imagine that you might want GHCi to look in $HOME, for backwards
> compatibility.

Yes.

> But do you really want getHomeDirectory to return $HOME?

Yes!

If I define %HOME, it is *exactly* because I don't want to use
Windows' idea of a home directory (which could be perhaps more
accurately defined as "hidden away storage area for
automatically-saved configuration settings").

> That's a very un-Windowsy thing to do, and I don't think we ought to be
> baking Un*x behaviour into APIs that are supposed to do whatever is native
> on the current platform.

We're talking about an override for people that specifically define it.

             Juanma